(Sorry guys for not posting this on time. A lot has been happening on the side that isn’t chronicled in these typecasts.)
(Yeeeah… I did crop out the bottom part. Silly stuff that really wasn’t interesting. Anywho… Until later, be safe and enjoy y’all’s days! -Bae)
(Ignore that “I need to” at the end of the first page. It isn’t a cut off crop. Lost my train of thought as I got up to get a fresh sheet.)
(Sorry for the tons of typos. I was typing standing up and moving back and forth between doing this. Normally not that bad!)
Empty registry bay.
The pin that was holding the keys in place. I was expecting a struggle to get it out, but a few gentle taps of a hammer made it come loose.
Post cleaning. Gleaming like it should again.
At least we can all be rest assured that these keys won’t be going on auction for arts and crafts.
This is an example of how the keys used to look before cleaning.
Post cleaning. Big difference, eh?
All done. Now /that/ is how they should look and not grimy n’ dirty!
Early Skyriters had metal cases because they’re derivatives of the Zephyr. All Zephyr cases fit Skyriters!
Note the short carriage return lever.
I’ve tried to find out what “CEEE” might stand for, but all of it seems a bit too bogus for this typewriter. The ‘S’ has been smashed through, but this is fixable.
A look at the filthy internals. This typewriter was heavily used then heavily forgotten!
I found this interesting… The rubber feet are absent and instead cork is used.
Showing its heritage versus the other one which was made in England.
More filth… I tried to use compressed air to no avail. This stuff is the sticky, icky, grimy kind.
A small look at the platen and the state of the felt under the typebars. The original metal spools did not come with it. I have some proof it was used into the 80’s, so it makes sense.
I only cleaned the MR key here. Go between this one and the next to see the difference.
After the cleaning. Some of the keys appear to be gnawed on like by a cat or possibly someone was tapping a pointed object on the keys.
I decided to try something new on this guy. I pulled out a ‘secret weapon’ weapon and tried it on the keys. Made them reflective again! The keys on the left are done, the keys on the right (cloudy/hazy ones) aren’t. They’re clean though.
Fully finished keys. If this thing could speak, I wonder if it was thinking, “I’m in a spa!”
The icky bend. I fixed this already and is fully functional again. The ‘Skyriter’ plate was bent and dinged in some areas, those are gone/fixed as well.
UPDATE: I’ve actually done some work on this today, off and on. The platen is recovered and conditioned. The typebars, -heads, and -faces are cleaned. The margin sets are cleaned and polished, along with their bar. The paper rest is fully functional and unbent — along with the name plate. Miscellaneous things have been cleaned as well.
Just chugging along and enjoying my time with this. I’m learning new things this time around and using different techniques. Thankfully the new things are good and the techniques are giving excellent results.
Frankly, I’m really proud of the unbent paper rest. Such a simple thing, but for some reason, I have an inkling people would consider that part “dead”.